Thursday, August 18, 2011

Old Post #2

"Have a fun day off," I was told by my daughter's paternal grandmother as I was dropping my daughter off for an overnight visit. I know she meant no harm when she said that, she is one of the sweetest ladies I know. Her words got me to thinking though about the majority of parents. You see I don't see today as a day off, I love Saturdays with my daughter. I want to be at a park with her or playing endless rounds of monopoly. In my perfect world that is what I would be doing. I know time with my daughter is limited as she is getting older every day. I know that in what will seem like a blink of an eye she will be off in college somewhere and I will have lots of "days off." Due to that I try to make the most of every day, every moment that I am blessed with. So to me a "day off" is more like a find something to fill the time day. I know you can say I need to get a life, and I understand. I do have a life. I have a life that my daughter is a part of in every way, and I don't want it to be any different. Once again in several years I will have plenty of me time. My child is not a burden from which I need a break. Is that how the majority of parents see their children? As a tedious job that they get to push off on someone else so they can enjoy themselves? I really don't understand this way of thinking. I mean I have my moments where all I want is thirty seconds so I can pee in peace, but those fleeting moments never add up to needing a whole day off from being a parent. I guess this is just another one of the many ways I think very differently and lack the ability to understand the psyche of the majority.

No comments:

Post a Comment